News & Events

18 July 2022

The European bathroom equipment market outperforms the economy

CSIL Market Research unit estimates that the European market for furniture, furnishing and wellness absorbed around 5.1 million units of bathroom furniture, 16.5 million accessories, 5.6 million mirrors, 4.2 million shower screens, 5.8 million shower arms, 2.3 million shower trays, 214 thousand among whirlpools and 339 thousand multifunctional shower booths, around 72.6 million faucets, 3.9 million acrylic sinks and 2.4 million acrylic bathtubs, almost 21.4 million units of hydrosanitary, and 29.2 million WC seat.

In 2021, sales of bathroom equipment outperformed not only the economy but also the residential construction output. Following a 3.5% contraction in 2020, the bathroom market rebounded by 12% to 15.5 million EUR, well above the 14.4 billion EUR of 2019. Double-digit growth rates are estimated for all the main segments of the market (vanities, showers, faucets, ceramic hydrosanitary ware, bathtubs). Across countries, these positive results were more heterogeneous, ranging from a year-on-year growth of 3.2% in Norway to a hike of 21% (in euro currency) in the United Kingdom.

The top ten players covered almost the 45% of the market, while at least 500 SMEs populate the remaining 55%. In 2021, companies that outperformed include both big groups (Grohe, Hansgrohe, Ideal Standard, Norcros) and design-oriented players (Absara-Hydrobox, Arbi, Duravit, Gessi, Porcelanosa, Svedbergs). During 2020 and 2021, the integration process continued.

For 2022, CSIL forecasts a growth of 2.7% year-over-year for the European bathroom equipment market. Many companies interviewed have confirmed this positive trend, recording increasing orders in the first half of 2022 despite the rising prices and economic and geopolitical situation. Nevertheless, uncertainties posed by the ongoing war and geopolitical context may lead to significant downside risks to economic growth, construction output and related construction products.

Find out more on CSIL Report - The European market for bathroom furniture, furnishings and wellness, edition July 2022.
Photo credit: Salone Internazionale del Bagno/International Bathroom Exhibition

this news